Re: [code] [textadept] GUI framework

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 16:58:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Robert,

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016, Robert Gieseke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know what the state of portin Textadept to GTK3 is but I just
> wanted to mention the `libui` toolkit, which is a in-development "simple
> and portable (but not inflexible) GUI library in C that uses the native
> GUI technologies of each platform it supports" - so Windows, OS X and GTK3.

Textadept can be compiled against GTK3 on Linux (`make GTK3=1`). I haven't
tried against a recent version of GTK3, but it worked the last time I
ran it.

> Might be something for Textadept at some point - while the current
> cross-platform build works well, there have been always requests for
> native versions. Lua bindings are also available so this could maybe
> make it easier to extend the GUI side of Textadept.
>
> There was also some discussion suggesting embedding Scintilla[1] in `libui`.

libui looks interesting, but as a very young and immature project, it's
far too early to pass judgement. Having Scintilla work with it is
certainly a requirement.

Thanks for sharing!