Re: [code] The Find & Replace pane

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 18:15:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Niklas,

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016, Niklas W wrote:

> When the replace field has the keyboard focus, pressing enter
> intuitively should replace, but the find button (default widget) is
> triggered.

Unfortunately it's not straightforward to change this behavior, so it will
remain as-is.

> The alt- shortcuts work, and the manual has a paragraph about it, but
> they are just too non-standard for me to get used to, because I'm also
> switching between other editors like qtcreator. I tend to skip the pane
> and hit F3 (or ctrl-g) to find next and ctrl-v to "replace". Maybe it's
> possible to make F3 (or ctrl-g) work from the Find & Replace pane?

I've spent some time looking into this and I don't see an easy way to
accomplish this. I thought I might be able to use key modes like with the
command entry, but doing so for the Find & Replace pane would involve
introducing the concept of key modes into the C core, which I don't want
to do. Just like you, I often find myself escaping out of the pane to use
Find Next and Find Prev shortcuts. It might be a slight inconvenience, but
it's not too bad. You might be able to do something like incremental find
with the command entry to avoid any extra keystrokes.