Re: [code][textadept] Textadept's commit history

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 11:33:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi Robert,

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016, Robert Gieseke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I run the Git commit history analysis script that recently was published:
>
> https://twitter.com/textadept/status/810612478245765121
>
> https://erikbern.com/2016/12/05/the-half-life-of-code.html
>
> Would be interesting to see which lines survived all that long ...

That's pretty cool! I suspect most of the surviving Lua lines are lines
with only "end" on them (Lua block end delimiters) or code comments, and
most of the surviving C lines are #includes and variable and function
declarations. Textadept has been *heavily* refactored over its 9 year
lifespan.

When you're looking at the graph, keep these things in mind:

Textadept 1.0 came in 2009 Jan.
Textadept 2.0 came in 2009 Oct.
Textadept 3.0 came in 2010 Jul.
Textadept 4.0 came in 2011 Sep.
Textadept 5.0 came in 2012 Feb.
Textadept 6.0 came in 2012 Nov.
Textadept 7.0 came in 2013 Nov.
Textadept 8.0 came in 2015 May.
Textadept 9.0 came in 2016 Oct.

You could approximately map each year as a major version starting from
zero. Therefore, Textadept 4 (2011) appears to be the first version that
makes up a decent portion of modern-day Textadept, and anything prior to
Textadept 4 has been discarded.

Thanks for sharing! I'm curious what Textadept's half-life is now.