[code] [textadept] C style display/conversion?

From: ardi <ardillasdelmonte.att.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 14:17:29 +0100

Hi,

I was taking a look at the "Artistic Style" program, which
automatically converts across different C styles, and I was wondering
if it is possible to do something like that from within TextAdept, and
with a more "on the fly" approach.

In particular, I'd find it a quite powerful feature to see and edit
files in a different style from the version saved in disk. For
example, I tend to prefer the Whitesmiths style (about 20 years using
that style), but however I'd prefer to share my code formatted as
either K&R or Allman, because these are the most popular styles.

I know the Artistic Style program can convert all files in a tree,
recursively, but that looks like throwing an atomic bomb in your
source tree...

I believe it would be better to have an editor that changes the code
display without modifying the file, depending on the user preference.
For example, a source file would be stored as K&R on disk, but you'd
see it formatted as Allman if that's your preference. If you edit the
file, then I'm not sure what would be best: having another preference
for saving, or saving it in your view style.

Given that TextAdept knows about code blocks, maybe these features
could be achieved without modifying the source files... it's just a
matter of how blocks are displayed.

Thanks!

ardi