Re: [code] [textadept] Updated File Diff Module

From: Gabriel Dubatti <gdubatti.att.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 07:37:07 -0300

Hi Mitchell,

El 25/02/17 a las 02:11, Mitchell escribió:
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2017, Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Hi Gabriel,
>>
>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2017, Gabriel Dubatti wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mitchell,
>>>
>>> When you add / remove lines at the top of one file, the other can't
>>> align properly because annotations are always shown below text lines.
>>>
>>> The following image shows what happens after adding 3 blank lines at
>>> the top (NOT OK) and after the first line (OK):
>>>
>>> error
>>>
>>> Any idea on how to solve this?
>>
>> This is a bug. I don't think there's a workaround. Thanks for the
>> report and the helpful image.
>
> Actually, I misread your analysis. Sorry about that (it has been a
> very long week). You are correct, and this appears to be a limitation
> with the implementation. I'm not sure how to solve this :( I'm open to
> suggestions.

I think there are 2 options to mitigate this limitation:
     1) move the annotations from line "0" to line 1 (in this case only
the first line will be shown out of place)
     2) force to show the first line as a modification (I'm not sure how
this will look until testing)

BTW, I'm currently working on a C version of the file/string diff
algorithm (that doesn't require lots of strings creation/destruction
like the current C++ version):
https://github.com/gabdub/ta-tweaks/blob/master/tatoolbar/src/ta_filediff.c
(work in progress alert)

I'll try to test this options and see what I get and let you know.

Cheers,
Gabriel