Re: [code] [textadept] How to setup textadept to compile ConTeXt on Windows10x64? / TA strange behaviour

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 12:33:09 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017, cryo shock wrote:

> Hi guys, this is my first mail here, so please bear with me.^^
>
> I would like to change from SciTE and TeXnicCenter to textadept, yet I am
> having a hard time configuring textadept to compile with CTX.
>
> I have the latest (beta) CTX mkiv (LuaTex) only. I added CTX to the system
> path of course.
> In SciTE it works fine after adding Scintillua and the configuration files
> from my CTX distribution.
>
> But how do I do this in textadept? contextwiki says that there are config
> files for textadept in the CTX distribution. But I can't find any. There
> are configs for texworks, scite and texfont only.
> Textadept homepage leads me to
> https://github.com/stephengaito/ta-context-latex
> I downloaded the package and extracted it in textadepts modules folder. Yet
> description says that those files have to be setup first. The instructions
> are for Linux only though. But how do I do this on Win10x64? When I only
> extract the Github package into modules folder, then TA doesn't compile or
> build but gives me a pdfTeX error (no pdfTeX found.). Shouldn't textadept
> use LuaTeX?
>
> So my main question is: how do I setup TA to work with CTX?

I don't know anything about that add-on, so I can only provide guidance on
how to configure Textadept to compile CTX files. I assume those files are
using the "context" lexer, so you can change Textadept's default compile
command to fit your Windows environment. Add the following to your
*C:\users\username\.textadept\init.lua* file:

   textadept.run.compile_commands.context = 'luatex "%f"'

Where 'luatex' is whatever executable is in your %PATH% that compiles your
CTX files. If your CTX files are using another lexer, you can configure
the compile command based on either that lexer or file extension. For
example, if CTX files have a ".ctx" extension:

   textadept.run.compile_commands.ctx = 'luatex "%f"'

Documentation is here:
http://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#textadept.run.compile_commands

> Another thing that bothers me is the fact that on my Windows 10 tablet I
> can't type the backslash ( \ ) using the integrated virtual keyboard. It
> works in every other piece of software (SciTE too). But in textadept my
> backslash button seems to have no function.
> Did anybody stumble upon this bug?

It could be one of two issues: GTK (the cross-platform widget toolkit
Textadept uses) does not recognize the key in your tablet environment, or
the keycode is passed to Textadept, but Textadept doesn't know what to do
with it.

In order to identify the problem, please put the following in your
*init.lua*:

   events.connect(events.KEYPRESS, function(code)
     ui.statusbar_text = code
   end)

Then try to type '\' and report what numeric code (if any) shows up in the
statusbar.