Re: [code] [textadept] to JIT or not to JIT...

From: Rob Kendrick <rjek+foicica.com.att.rjek.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 17:14:45 +0000

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 11:03:06AM -0500, dmccunney wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Gabriel Dubatti <gdubatti.att.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I guess a WIN64 version could run faster on 64 bits machines (?) that's it.
>
> Er, why?
>
> 32 bit vs 64 bit affects the address space available to the program.
> The *speed* will be the same. With a 32 bit editor, you get a 4GB
> address space. If you ever find yourself bumping your head against a
> 32 bit address space limitation in a *text editor*, I don't think I
> want to know how you managed it...

There are multiple factors here, and not not address space. AMD64 has a
great deal more registers than i386, which is helpful for performance in
itself, but it also has a more efficient ABI as more function parameters
can be passed without resorting to the stack.

The downside is all your integers are larger and use more memory
bandwidth to fetch and store. Almost everything I've tried is faster in
64 bit mode than 32 bit, however.

B.