Re: [code] Re: [scinterm] [patch] Debug-builds and NetBSD-curses support

From: Robin Haberkorn <robin.haberkorn.att.googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 22:09:30 +0100

Hello Mitchell,

very probably you can still apply my patches - they only change single
lines, but alright alright...
I will resync my fork and I will also care about wattrget(), It won't be
harder than for ncurses.
Is there really no native Curses function to get the attributes at some
coordinate?

There's mvwinchnstr() - wouldn't it do when we restore the the position
afterwards with wmove()?

If not, as I said, you cannot detect netbsd-curses at compile-time. There
are no macros I would
count on.
I wouldn't even know how to detect it using an Autoconf check - there don't
appear to be
definite netbsd-curses-only functions. In SciTECO, I thus added a
--with-interface=netbsd-curses
site-config option.

So for Scinterm we'd have to add a Makefile variable, or predefine a C
macro like NETBSD_CURSES
which could then be passed in with CURSES_FLAGS.

How Curses, written as an escape from portability hell, can be such a
portability hell in itself
escapes me. I'd be glad if we could get rid of it, but unfortunately, there
are no good alternatives.

Best regards,
Robin