Re: [code] more line-number digits

From: dmccunney <dennis.mccunney.att.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 18:03:04 -0400

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 5:40 PM, <rhkramer.att.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 04:52:00 PM dmccunney wrote:
>
>> What sort of files? TextAdept doesn't sound like the right tool for
>> looking at them. TextAdept is an editor, and I can't see a case where
>> you might want to edit files that big.
>
> I (I'm not the OP) routinely edit files up to (currently) about 35 MB, with
> about 500,000 (unwrapped) paragraphs, and I'd hesitate to guess at how many
> lines--maybe 2,000,000?

What kind of files are they, and what sort of editing do you do?

On the odd instance where I need to look at files that large, I just
want to *look* at them.

> I use different editors depending on my intent, including, nedit and kate--

I collect editors, and have a variety here. I dual boot Linux and
Windows, and some, like Gnu Emacs, Vim, and TextAdept are up in both
places. I use different editors depending upon intent too. I don't
happen to believe a "one size fits all" editor is possible.

> I plan to switch to a scintilla based editor once I get a lexer written for the
> markup I use.

What markup are you using?

> But I guess you're saying I should not consider TextAdept?

It can slurp up a file that big, so the issue is accurately viewing
line numbers, and that appears doable. I'm just bemused at the notion
of editing files that large.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519