Re: [code] more line-number digits

From: <rhkramer.att.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 21:05:06 -0400

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 06:03:04 PM dmccunney wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 5:40 PM, <rhkramer.att.gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 04:52:00 PM dmccunney wrote:
> >> What sort of files? TextAdept doesn't sound like the right tool for
> >> looking at them. TextAdept is an editor, and I can't see a case where
> >> you might want to edit files that big.
> >
> > I (I'm not the OP) routinely edit files up to (currently) about 35 MB,
> > with about 500,000 (unwrapped) paragraphs, and I'd hesitate to guess at
> > how many lines--maybe 2,000,000?
>
> What kind of files are they, and what sort of editing do you do?

Well, I could make that a long story, but I'll keep it short. I started using
askSam a long time ago, first in Dos, then in Windows. When I switched to
Linux, I wanted a workalike, but couldn't really find one. Wikis, and, in
particular, TWiki seemed like reasonable substitutes, but I didn't want to set
up and run a TWiki at home (but I did, a few times, but got tired of updating
it).

So, I started writing text into text files using TWiki markup. Then developed
a method of (pseudo) folding the text in nedit, and am gradually switching to
using Kate--which has some problems I don't like (for a long time, folding
didn't work properly unless I added ending markup (which is not required for
an online TWiki.

Some of the stuff I keep in those files I plan to eventually move to a real
online and public TWiki (or Foswiki).

Maybe to answer your question more directly, it is marked up text, with some
links (that are highlighted but don't actually work within Kate or nedit).

> On the odd instance where I need to look at files that large, I just
> want to *look* at them.
>
> > I use different editors depending on my intent, including, nedit and
> > kate--
>
> I collect editors, and have a variety here. I dual boot Linux and
> Windows, and some, like Gnu Emacs, Vim, and TextAdept are up in both
> places. I use different editors depending upon intent too. I don't
> happen to believe a "one size fits all" editor is possible.
>
> > I plan to switch to a scintilla based editor once I get a lexer written
> > for the markup I use.
>
> What markup are you using?

It started out as pure TWiki, but, over the years, I've added or changed a few
things (including the unnecessary ending markup).

Aside: The need for the ending markup in Kate was because of a bug that went
unfixed for years. They finally fixed it, but I haven't gone back to change the
highlighting file to work without the ending markup.

> > But I guess you're saying I should not consider TextAdept?
>
> It can slurp up a file that big, so the issue is accurately viewing
> line numbers, and that appears doable. I'm just bemused at the notion
> of editing files that large.

Works for me--but I'd like it better when I get a lexer for scintilla and,
among other things, avoid the ending markup.

Randy Kramer