Re: [code] more line-number digits

From: dmccunney <dennis.mccunney.att.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:36:19 -0400

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 9:05 PM, <rhkramer.att.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 06:03:04 PM dmccunney wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 5:40 PM, <rhkramer.att.gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 04:52:00 PM dmccunney wrote:

>> > But I guess you're saying I should not consider TextAdept?
>>
>> It can slurp up a file that big, so the issue is accurately viewing
>> line numbers, and that appears doable. I'm just bemused at the notion
>> of editing files that large.
>
> Works for me--but I'd like it better when I get a lexer for scintilla and,
> among other things, avoid the ending markup.

Okay. I understand what you're doing, and why you would want to edit
files that large.

It sounds like you've essentially been able to configure editors you
use to display individual nodes of your wiki using folding so you can
zoom in on the bits you want to edit. If it works for you, splendid,
but my instinct is to not keep everything in one huge file, and use a
tool that displays and permits update of wiki content, like a browser.
It's not something I'd try to contort an editor into doing.

TextAdept can slurp up a file that big. An area that might bite
would be syntax highlighting. I don't know what TA's particular
limits might be, but I've seen issues elsewhere where syntax
highlighting imposes progressively larger performance hits as the size
of the source file you want to highlight grows, with recommendations
that you limit the amount of the file you want highlighting applied to
in consequence.

> Randy Kramer
______
Dennis