Re: [code] [Textadept] .desktop file has a few issues

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti.att.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 08:38:28 +0200

Hi Mitchell,

thanks for _your_ patience with me :-D I now have more time, since I'm in
pre-retirement and teaching part time and I'm filling my time with things
like this. Don't feel pressed by me, just follow your pace.

I'm full of doubts myself. One of the things that I feel misleading is
using this XDG_DATA_DIR name, since the spec only talks about XDG_DATA_DIRS
being a path of possible locations for data and desktop files in a
freedesktop.org-compliant desktop.

Then, I'm trying to help create a Makefile that is directly installable
(for FreeBSD, my last exeprimental pet) as well as usable for .deb (this is
my main focus right now and it seems to be covered) and .rpm packages
(still a TODO).

Tell me if you are interested in the desktop file installation procedure
using freedesktop.org tools.

Best, /PA

On 23 April 2017 at 22:52, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez wrote:
>
> More on icons from
>> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-
>> theme-spec-latest.html
>> Installing Application Icons
>>
>> So, you're an application author, and want to install application icons so
>> that they work in the KDE and Gnome menus. Minimally you should install a
>> 48x48 icon in the hicolor theme. This means installing a PNG file in
>> $prefix/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps. Optionally you can install icons
>> in
>> different sizes. For example, installing a svg icon in
>> $prefix/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps means most desktops will have
>> one
>> icon that works for all sizes.
>>
>> Shouldn't we also follow this recommendation? Open for discussion, as well
>> as using desktop-file-install to install the desktop file. This tools is
>> also hosted in freedesktop.org
>>

> Okay, thanks for the link and the screenshots. I will look into adding
> Textadept's icon to /usr/share/pixmaps and updating the .desktop file
> accordingly.
>
> Thanks for your patience with me. Hopefully it won't take many more
> iterations to get it working.

Fragen sind da um gestellet zu werden
Georg Kreisler