[code] Advice on using external libraries in textadept modules

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 14:35:00 +0200

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a Textadept module and I'd like to use the lyaml library
(https://gvvaughan.github.io/lyaml/).

I had some trouble getting it to run. At first I thought it's because
Textadept runs on Lua 5.3 and Ubuntu installed lyaml for Lua 5.2.

Now I used luarocks to install it for 5.3, and it works outside
Textadept. However, when I require lyaml from my module init.lua file, I
still get an error message: "/usr/share/lua/5.3/lyaml.lua:31: module
'yaml' not found:"

Textadept seems to find lyaml, now, but not the LibYAML library
(yaml.so) that lyaml tries to access.

Am I right that Textadept uses a different Lua 5.3 environment than my
system does? If so, is there a way to change that?

I tried to place a symlink to the yaml.so file in my .textadept folder,
because the rest of the error message suggested that TA might look for
it there (saying "no file '/home/sthesing/.textadept/yaml.so'" amongst
other paths), but to no avail.

So my question is: how would you advise to use external libraries like
lyaml in Textadept modules?

Regards,
Stefan