Re: [code] [Textadept] .desktop file has a few issues

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti.att.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 07:33:31 +0200

Hi Mitchell,

/usr/share/pixmaps seems to be sufficient in GNOME3 and XFCE. As I progress
through more desktops, I'll tell you if I find something that needs to be
fixed. I have also found that we can live without the hicolor theme.

Regarding the freedesktop tools, here is what I mean.

install_desktop:
    install -d $(DESTDIR)$(XDG_DATA_DIR)
    for d in $(patsubst ../%,%.desktop,$(patsubst
../textadeptjit%,../textadept%,$(install_targets))); do \
        desktop-file-install --dir=$(DESTDIR)$(XDG_DATA_DIR) $$d ;\
        done

The desktop-file-install command is the standard tool from freedesktop.org.
It also allows you to edit the .desktop file when installing it. The
patsubst is suboptimal, since it will make a double installation for
install_targets=../textadept
../textadeptjit,
but it is good enough not to install the desktop file for the curses
version if you don't compile it ;-)

Best, /PA

On 1 May 2017 at 02:02, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2017, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez wrote:
>
> Hi Mitchell,
>>
>> thanks for _your_ patience with me :-D I now have more time, since I'm in
>> pre-retirement and teaching part time and I'm filling my time with things
>> like this. Don't feel pressed by me, just follow your pace.
>>
>> I'm full of doubts myself. One of the things that I feel misleading is
>> using this XDG_DATA_DIR name, since the spec only talks about
>> XDG_DATA_DIRS
>> being a path of possible locations for data and desktop files in a
>> freedesktop.org-compliant desktop.
>>

> I've committed a change[1] that places icons in /usr/share/pixmaps, as
> recommended by Gnome. I prefer not to also add them to the hicolor theme.
> In my tests, it appears the /usr/share/pixmaps location is sufficient. Let
> me know if you find otherwise.
>
> [snip]
>>
>> Tell me if you are interested in the desktop file installation procedure
>> using freedesktop.org tools.
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean here. It sounds complicated, so I'm probably
> not interested :)

> [1]: http://foicica.com/hg/textadept/rev/dfcde58546c5

Fragen sind da um gestellet zu werden
Georg Kreisler