Re: [code] Unable to run Textadept on Docker container

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 22:10:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Emil,

On Tue, 9 May 2017, Emil Axelsson wrote:

> [Trying again without +help in the address.]
>
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to use Textadept on an Ubuntu Docker container, but it doesn't
> work.
>
> I start with a clean container:
>
> sudo docker run -it --rm ubuntu
>
> Inside the container I run the following commands:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install -y wget
> wget https://foicica.com/textadept/download/textadept_LATEST.x86_64.tgz
> tar zxvf textadept_LATEST.x86_64.tgz
>
> Then when I try to run `textadept_9.4.x86_64/textadept-curses`, I get a blank
> terminal. If I press enter I get this message:
>
> [Message Buffer] - Textadept ([Message Buffer])attempt to index a nil value
> /textadept_9.4.x86_64/themes/term.lua:76: attempt to index a nil value
> (field 'run')
>
> But it's working to some extent: I can move around and type in the message
> buffer.
>
> Any idea what went wrong?

Textadept uses `/proc/self/exe` to determine its location and thus the
location of its `modules/` directory, which contains the `textadept.run`
module among others.

I would venture a guess that docker does not supply a similar mechanism,
so Textadept has no idea where it is. I did not account for this, so there
is no workaround. Sorry :(