Re: [code] [textadept] cannot open /usr/local/share/textadept/core/init.lua: Permission denied

From: dmccunney <dennis.mccunney.att.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 19:55:04 -0400

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 7:07 PM, kaihoukyoku <kaihoukyoku.att.cock.li> wrote:
> On 05/24/2017 04:26 AM, DrTebi wrote:
>>
>> I am just taking a wild guess here... but are you sure that you
>> changed the permissions correctly? It should be 644, as in:
>>
>> sudo chmod 644 /usr/local/share/textadept/core/init.lua
>>
>> Also check other permissions in that same folder...
>
> The file was 644 by default. Even when changing it to maximum (777)
> permission, I still get that message.
> This leads me to believe it is not really a linux filesystem error,
> but I also have no idea what it could be.

Where exactly it TextAdept installed? What are the permissions on the
directory in which it's installed? You need access to not only the
init.lua file, but the directory in which it lives. (I have seen
problems elsewhere when the user did not have read permissions on the
directory in which a file lived, even though they had read permissions
of the file itself. If the directory can't be read, you can't get to
the file.) You run TextAdept as an ordinary user, and your userid
needs access to the files and directories. There are no permissions
problems when you run as root because root has the required
permissions.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519