[code] : [code] : [code] : [code] [textadept] Could you please give me advice to configure encoding menu correctly?

From: Outlook Yuki <X1353135.att.outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 17:05:59 +0000

Hi Michell

>> Additionally, it's also better to add encoding option(including "auto detect" option) to file open dialog box.

>Since Textadept utilizes GTK's file dialog, and this option does not exist, what you suggest is not possible at the moment.

If so, it can be implemented like following.

  1. separate file open menu to "file open(auto detect encoding)" and "file open(select encoding)
  2. when user select "file open(select encoding)" menu, textadept show encoding list using list dialog box(which is used "open recent" menu) after user select file path, then load the file according to encoding which is selected by user.
  3. "save as" menu also can use this way to provide user a chance to select encoding.

Yuki

________________________________
: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
ʱ: 2017731 4:12:56
ռ: code.att.foicica.com
: Re: [code] : [code] : [code] [textadept] Could you please give me advice to configure encoding menu correctly?

Hi Yuki,

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017, Outlook Yuki wrote:

> Hi Mitchel
>
> I think the problem is that `io.open_file()` always try to auto detect encoding and user doesn't have any chance to select a apecific encoding by himself for the file.
> The solution which I think is to add encoding as argument to `io.open_file()`, and `io.open_file()` load the file according given encoding, or try to auto detect the encoding when null is given as encoding.
> If `io.open_file()` behive like above, user has a chance to force select encoding.

Thank you for the suggestion. I think this is a good idea and will look into adding it.