[code] : [code] : [code] : [code] : [code] [textadept] Could you please give me advice to configure encoding menu correctly?

From: Outlook Yuki <X1353135.att.outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 17:09:49 +0000

Hi Mitchell

Thank you for your comment.

Yuki

________________________________
: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
ʱ: 2017731 21:40:20
ռ: code.att.foicica.com
: Re: [code] : [code] : [code] : [code] [textadept] Could you please give me advice to configure encoding menu correctly?

Hi Yuki,

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017, Outlook Yuki wrote:

> Hi Michell
>

>>> Additionally, it's also better to add encoding option(including "auto detect" option) to file open dialog box.
>
>> Since Textadept utilizes GTK's file dialog, and this option does not exist, what you suggest is not possible at the moment.
>

> If so, it can be implemented like following.
>

> 1. separate file open menu to "file open(auto detect encoding)" and "file open(select encoding)
> 2. when user select "file open(select encoding)" menu, textadept show encoding list using list dialog box(which is used "open recent" menu) after user select file path, then load the file according to encoding which is selected by user.
> 3. "save as" menu also can use this way to provide user a chance to select encoding.

I think adding that feature yourself via *~/.textadept/init.lua* or a module would be more appropriate. Something more low-level like adding an encoding parameter to `io.open_file()` belongs in core Textadept.