[code] [scintillua] Future Plans

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 18:10:33 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Scintilla 4.x is a big break from 3.x in terms of compiler compatibility. As a result, Scintilla development is moving in two directions: a long-term 3.x branch, and the current 4.x branch. At this time, Scintillua will target and support the long-term 3.x branch, and not 4.x.

Moving forward, Scintillua will no longer mirror Scintilla and SciTE releases. For example, when Scintilla/SciTE 3.x.y was released, Scintillua 3.x.y-z was released shortly after. This versioning convention came about simply because Scintillua was designed to have "drop-in installation" in most Scintilla environments, and SciTE was the most prominent of them. I am discontinuing this version mirroring because I anticipate Scintillua releases to be more frequent than future Scintilla 3.x releases.

I have not decided how versioning will work yet, but it will probably not be 3.x.y, in order to avoid confusion with long-term Scintilla releases.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if something is not clear.