Re: [code][Textadept] Info.plist on macOS

From: Franck Guadagnini <franckguadagnini.att.me.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 00:04:44 +0200

Hi Mitchell,

- "net.daringfireball.markdown" is not required, it's just common practice on macOS. I rebuilt the launch services database, and even for Markdown files for which TA is set as default opener, their UTI, inspected with "mdls" command, is still "net.daringfireball.markdown", which is defined in one or two other text editors' Info.plist on my computer. I don't know how macOS chooses which UTI to use, but anyway it doesn't prevent TA to open these files.
- "com.textadept.Java-source" on the contrary is a system-declared UTI (https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Miscellaneous/Reference/UTIRef/Articles/System-DeclaredUniformTypeIdentifiers.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009259-SW1), <https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Miscellaneous/Reference/UTIRef/Articles/System-DeclaredUniformTypeIdentifiers.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009259-SW1),> and applications are expected to use it; but, again, TA can still open java files anyway. (UTI is quite a confusing matter, and the documentation is sparse…)

Generally, TA showed itself in "open with…" context menu for .txt files as well as for every text files I tried. So it seems you don't have to complicate your plist generator!

Cheers,
Franck