Re: [code] Makefile cleanup... suggestions

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti.att.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 17:18:24 +0100

Hi Mitchell

As you know I've been trying to compile the curses version in FreeBSD.
This has made me go through the compilation flags and I have seen some flags
that seem to stem from older versions of the curses library. It would be
good to
know why the different flags are there. Those that are related with curses
should
not be there explicitly, but obtained through "pkg-config --cflags curses"
The same applies to the linker flags.

As a matter of fact, I'm using a construct in other Makefiles that allows me
to compile programs with curses and ncurses:

ifeq (1,$(shell pkg-config ncurses && echo 1))
  CFLAGS += pkg-config --cflags ncurses
  LDFLAGS += pkg-config --libs ncurses
else
  CFLAGS += pkg-config --cflags curses
  LDFLAGS += pkg-config --libs curses
endif

Once that is sorted out, it would be good to continue with other libraries.

Best, /PA

On 4 February 2018 at 03:39, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2018, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>>
>> now that the LuaJIT compilation is done a bit more smoothly, why not
>> continuing with a more thorough clean-up operation. I've been trying to
>> compile Textadept on several *IX platforms and have found out the hard way
>> that there is a need for it.
>>
>> A first step would be to compile luajit if and only a JIT target is being
>> compiled.
>> Then, I'd go through the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS and sort out which are
>> Textadept specific and which are needed by other things like curses.
>>
>> In nearly all *IX, package specific flags can be obtained with pkgconfig
>>

> I'm afraid I don't understand your suggestion. Could you rephrase? Thanks.

Fragen sind da um gestellet zu werden
Georg Kreisler