[code] [textadept] Upcoming Changes in 10.0 and hg

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 23:16:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

With great effort I've managed to update my cross-compiler toolchains to what I think is full C++11 support. This means Textadept will now be able to properly track Scintilla's LongTerm3 (3.x) branch. (Scintilla is the editing component Textadept uses.)

With full C++11 support comes C++11's built-in regex support. This means Textadept will no longer depend on the TRE regex library (and its quirks). Also, with Scintillua (Lua LPeg lexers for Scintilla) and Scinterm (terminal interface for Scintilla) being integrated into Scintilla's LongTerm3 branch, Textadept's dependencies are simplified.

This sounds great in principle, but there is a trade-off: Textadept now requires GCC version 4.9 or later (circa early 2014) in order to compile. So-as not to require a C++11-complaint standard library to be present on Linux systems running Textadept (which is not the case on older hardware), release builds will bundle a C++11-compliant standard library. (This is already the case on Windows and Mac OSX builds.) This bundling on Linux will slightly increase binary sizes, unfortunately. (Although if you manually compile Textadept yourself, Textadept will use your system's libstdc++ at no cost.)

All of this is in hg[1] and is in tonight's nightly build. Right now, Textadept is tracking Scintilla 3.7.6, so some backports from 4.x are not present. I will address this in the coming weeks.