Re: [code] [textadept]Some questions about buffer.set_theme()

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 17:08:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018, Mitchell wrote:

> Hi Barna,
>
> On Tue, 6 Feb 2018, Keresztes Barna wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have some questions about the behavior of the buffer.set_theme()
>> function.
>>
>> 1. It sets the theme only at the startup and for every buffer, it's clearly
>> function affecting the UI (like ui.menu), not a buffer-level function
>> (properties that can be different for every buffer - like tab width or
>> margin). So I don't really understand why was it moved from the ui class to
>> buffer class?
>
> I agree it's not perfect, but there are two reasons for the change: (1)
> ui.set_theme() can imply the entire ui is themed (menus, text boxes, buttons,
> etc.) and this is not the case; (2) [ui|buffer].set_theme() only ever sets
> buffer properties and calls buffer functions. With the new feature in
> Textadept 10 that makes any buffer settings on startup apply to all
> subsequent buffers, `buffer.set_theme()` seems more appropriate.
>
>> 2. I understand that it works only at startup, but I don't find it normal
>> that subsequent calls give "nil value" error (as it's an API function). IMO
>> it should do nothing or give a warning.
>
> That is a fair point. Despite the fact that the documentation states the
> function can only be called on startup, I will do something about it.
>
>> 3. The most interesting question: It should be really interesting to be
>> able
>> to define a different theme for different buffers. I like to have a light
>> theme for text editing (LaTex, Markdown) and a dark theme for code.
>> Something
>> like:
>>
>>     events.connect(events.LEXER_LOADED, function(lang)
>>       if lang == 'markdown' or lang == 'latex' then
>>         buffer.set_theme(not CURSES and 'base16-tomorrow-light')
>>       else
>>         buffer.set_theme(not CURSES and 'base16-monokai-dark')
>>       end
>>     end
>>
>> I don't think there is a technical obstacle as I found a workaround by
>> replacing `buffer.set_theme` by `dofile('path/to/theme.lua')`.
>> Could you implement the per buffer theme feature?
>
> That's an interesting idea. I will explore it and get back to you.

I've committed a change[1] that removes the call restrictions on `buffer.set_theme()` and adds an initial `buffer` argument like all buffer functions. As a result, you can now call `buffer:set_theme(name, props)` at any time, not just on startup. This enables per-language themes if you like.

The next nightly build will have this change. You'll need to use a nightly since I fixed a bug[2] in the Scintilla lexer that this change depends on.

There will also be a new compatibility notice if your *~/.textadept/init.lua* uses the old `buffer.set_theme(name, props)` syntax. (Note the '.' instead of the new ':'.)

[1]: https://foicica.com/hg/textadept/rev/4c9a8075e71c
[2]: https://foicica.com/hg/scintilla/rev/814593e7dde4