Re: [code] [textadept]Some questions about buffer.set_theme()

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 10:35:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Peter,

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>
> Am 2018-03-25 um 23:08 schrieb Mitchell:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, 7 Feb 2018, Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Barna,

>>> I agree it's not perfect, but there are two reasons for the change: (1)
>>> ui.set_theme() can imply the entire ui is themed (menus, text boxes,
>>> buttons,
>>> etc.) and this is not the case; (2) [ui|buffer].set_theme() only ever
>>> sets
>>> buffer properties and calls buffer functions. With the new feature in
>>> Textadept 10 that makes any buffer settings on startup apply to all
>>> subsequent buffers, `buffer.set_theme()` seems more appropriate.

>>> That is a fair point. Despite the fact that the documentation states the
>>> function can only be called on startup, I will do something about it.

>>> That's an interesting idea. I will explore it and get back to you.
>>
>> I've committed a change[1] that removes the call restrictions on
>> `buffer.set_theme()` and adds an initial `buffer` argument like all
>> buffer functions. As a result, you can now call `buffer:set_theme(name,
>> props)` at any time, not just on startup. This enables per-language
>> themes if you like.
>>
>> The next nightly build will have this change. You'll need to use a
>> nightly since I fixed a bug[2] in the Scintilla lexer that this change
>> depends on.
>>
>> There will also be a new compatibility notice if your
>> *~/.textadept/init.lua* uses the old `buffer.set_theme(name, props)`
>> syntax. (Note the '.' instead of the new ':'.)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mitchell
>>
>> [1]: https://foicica.com/hg/textadept/rev/4c9a8075e71c
>> [2]: https://foicica.com/hg/scintilla/rev/814593e7dde4
>

> just tested the nightly (W32) and I run into problems with unset style
> properties. Sometimes only "number" isn't set correctly, sometimes all
> but "string" is unset. Tried it several times, never got all my styles
> working at the same time. Strange (looking).
>
> I load my theme once (now buffer:set_theme(); called in init.lua), and
> change some of its properties afterwards (buffer.property[] at
> "LEXER_LOADED"), if the conditions are met.

Would you please post your LEXER_LOADED event handler? I am not able to reproduce with something simple like:

   events.connect(events.LEXER_LOADED, function(lexer)
     if lexer == 'ansi_c' then
       buffer.property['style.number']='fore:#ff0000'
       buffer.property['style.string']='fore:#0000ff'
     end
   end)