Re: [code][textadept] NIGHTLY executables on Win32 are static

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 15:47:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Peter,

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Am 2018-04-10 um 20:05 schrieb Mitchell:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2018, Peter Rolf wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mitchell,
>>>
>>> just cross compiled the source version from 07.04.18 and it works fine
>>> (textadept.exe, 1.8MB). I noticed that the Win32 NIGHTLY binaries from
>>> your site are still static. Sorry, didn't see it last time I reported
>>> back.
>>
>> What do you mean by static? I downloaded the latest Win32 nightly and it
>> was for last night (9 April 2018).
>>

> Static means, that all libraries are part of the executable (size of
> textadept.exe is 16.9MB instead of 1.8MB). Currently you have the
> libraries (*.dll) and four static executables (which don't need or use
> the *.dll files).

Oh, the nightlies actually are built with debugging symbols, which bloats up the size enormously, but can help with crash backtraces or user-initiated gdb sessions. The DLLs are not statically linked with the exes. (I just tried moving them and running Textadept; I got a "dll not found" type of error.)