Re: [code][textadept] NIGHTLY executables on Win32 are static

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 23:03:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Gabriel,

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018, Gabriel Dubatti wrote:

> Hi Mitchell and Peter,
>

> El 10/04/2018 a las 16:47, Mitchell escribió:
>> Hi Peter,

>>> Static means, that all libraries are part of the executable (size of
>>> textadept.exe is 16.9MB instead of 1.8MB). Currently you have the
>>> libraries (*.dll) and four static executables (which don't need or use
>>> the *.dll files).
>>
>> Oh, the nightlies actually are built with debugging symbols, which bloats
>> up the size enormously, but can help with crash backtraces or
>> user-initiated gdb sessions. The DLLs are not statically linked with the
>> exes. (I just tried moving them and running Textadept; I got a "dll not
>> found" type of error.)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mitchell
>
> I have to add "libwinpthread-1.dll" when compiling for win32.

I think these kinds of things depend on the toolchain installed and even its version. For example, my old mingw32 toolchain was based on gcc 4.2 and did not recognize the "-static-libstdc++" flag, while my newer toolchain based on mingw-w64 3.x and gcc 5.4 recognizes that flag and does not require the "libwinpthread.dll". Perhaps your toolchain is based on something more recent.

Either way, this is good information for anyone else attempting to cross-compile for win32. Thanks for sharing.