Re: [code] Linux Command entry movement keys

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti.att.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 07:18:00 +0200

Hi Mitchell,

may I disagree (just a bit) ;-) The case in Linux is not binary... When you
use Bash as your default shell, you do have emacs keys by default. And on
other shells, you just set the EDITOR variable to 'emacs' and you have the
keys... You would be surprised how many embedded Linuxes there are around
and when you gain access to the shell, you do have emacs keybindings
because they have busybox, which ships with sort-of an ash, which also has
emacs keybindings.

AaMoF, OSX has emacs style movement keys because it's shell is an oldish
BASH and they use the readline library for most if not all programs (as BTW
Linux does, came to me when reading before sending...)

Anyhow, I think offering a standard way of tweaking this thing is going to
be less harmful than people tweaking at different points in their init.lua
or (argggh) in the Textadept code itself ... Could you think about this,
please ;-)

Best, /PA

On 6 June 2018 at 16:09, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> Hi Nicholas,
>
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2018, Nicholas Ochiel wrote:
>
> Attached is a patch that includes Linux in the code that defines
>> movement keys. Might there have been a reason that they weren't
>> enabled? They seem to work as expected.
>>

> On Mac OSX, native text entries use Emacs-style movement keys by default.
> In the terminal version of Textadept, cdk (the UI toolkit in use) uses
> Emacs-style movement keys for its text entries too. Therefore, Textadept
> enables the same keys in an attempt to be consistent. Linux and Windows do
> not have Emacs-style movement keys enabled by default. You have to tweak
> things manually. If you do, then you'll have to tweak Textadept too.
>
> Basically, there is a reason they weren't enabled for Linux :)

Fragen sind da um gestellet zu werden
Georg Kreisler