Re: [code] Linux Command entry movement keys

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 08:39:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Pedro,

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>
> may I disagree (just a bit) ;-) The case in Linux is not binary... When you
> use Bash as your default shell, you do have emacs keys by default. And on
> other shells, you just set the EDITOR variable to 'emacs' and you have the
> keys... You would be surprised how many embedded Linuxes there are around
> and when you gain access to the shell, you do have emacs keybindings
> because they have busybox, which ships with sort-of an ash, which also has
> emacs keybindings.

You are correct about Bash. However, that is in the terminal environment, not the GTK (GUI) environment. GTK does not have emacs-style movement keys by default, so Textadept's GUI does not either.

> AaMoF, OSX has emacs style movement keys because it's shell is an oldish
> BASH and they use the readline library for most if not all programs (as BTW
> Linux does, came to me when reading before sending...)

I'm also talking about GUI text widgets, not the shell. Since GUI text widgets on OSX have emacs-style movement keys, Textadept does also.

> Anyhow, I think offering a standard way of tweaking this thing is going to
> be less harmful than people tweaking at different points in their init.lua
> or (argggh) in the Textadept code itself ... Could you think about this,
> please ;-)

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your point, but the standard way is to re-define the keys in your *~/.textadept/init.lua* or your own *~/.textadept/modules/textadept/keys.lua*. I do this myself[1].

[1]: https://foicica.com/hg/.textadept/file/7c816eb37001/modules/textadept/keys.lua#l470