Re: [code] [textadept]

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 11:39:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Colin,

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018, Colin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if it is possible to have textadept show all characters in a file. Notepad++ has an option to "show all symbols" (or something similar) which shows all characters in a way similar to how textadept handles EOL characters. The specific issue that I had was a BOM had slipped into the middle of my file and was causing problems with another application. There are other ways to fix the problem, but I would love to be able to view all characters, including those that are not printable, within textadept.
>
> I was unable to find a built in setting or module that does this. I would be happy to develop a module but I don't know where to start.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

You can probably use `buffer.representation`[1]. Perhaps something like this in your *~/.textadept/init.lua* would work:

   for i = 128, 255 do
     buffer.representation[string.char(i)] = string.format('0x%X', i)
   end

A BOM in the middle of a document should show up like "[0xEF][0xBB][0xBF]" where "[x]" is x shown in a box like [LF] and [CR].

[1]: https://foicica.com/textadept/api.html#buffer.representation