Re: [code] [Textadept] Would a realtime console pane be realisable within TA?

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 08:40:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Lars,

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018, cryo shock wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>
> I had some chats with Hans Hagen, the lead programmer of the ConTeXt macro
> package. He told me that he doesn't use TA mainly because "its biggest
> drawback is the lack of a
> fast and realtime console pane like scite has" and "due to lack of lua
> console output".
>
> I am no Lua geek so I am sure that you'll know what he wants way better
> than me. What exactly is the difference between a console pane and the
> message buffer? And what do you think in general? Would the things
> mentioned above be possible to realise in TA? I mean maybe not tomorrow or
> the day after (but in a week or so *chuckling*)?

There is a module[1] I wrote that uses a buffer to emulate a Lua console/REPL (like the Lua interpreter).

As far as a dedicated console, you could spawn a process (perhaps "bash"?), and hook into stdin and stdout for use with a buffer. In Textadept Quick Reference there is an example that does this with the "python" executable in order to create a Python REPL in a buffer. It's not perfect, but not too difficult either. A dedicated console widget is a completely different matter though.

[1]: https://foicica.com/wiki/lua-repl