Re: [code] [textadept] Macros/add-ons for quick C/C++ function traversal?

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 14:41:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Ardi,

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018, ardi wrote:

> Thanks a lot, Mitchell. It seems that the regex engine that you are
> using is not crash-safe (even from the find UI at the bottom of the TA
> window). I'm trying to get the regex at
> https://regex101.com/r/hE9iF2/3 working in TA. It doesn't work out of
> the box, so I tried to tweak the syntax, and in the process I was able
> to crash TA by using the find UI. For example, typing this regex in
> the find field:
>
> ^[a-zA-Z]([^;#\\"'{}=><!/]|\\n)*\\\\)[ \\t]*\\n?[ \\t]*\\\\{
>
> Yes, I know this regex is wrong because it has C-string syntax
> (backslashes are escaped), but even if it's wrong, it shouldn't crash
> TA, just issue a syntax error for example.
>
> The procedure for reproducing the crash is straightforward:
>
> -Open TA
> -Open a C file.
> -Show the Find UI.
> -Copy and paste the regex above, exactly in the search field.
> -Choose regex mode.
> -Click "Find Next", and voila!

I agree that a crash should not happen. I don't have ready access to a Mac at present, so it may take some time for me to confirm/diagnose. I do not see a crash on my Linux box.

Textadept's regex is based on the C++11 standard's ECMAScript syntax (JavaScript), so you may want to try that instead of PCRE.