Re: [code] Crash when opening a file with Chinese path in Windows

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 09:38:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Alexander,

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018, Alexander Misel wrote:

> If textadept is not open, then open a file with a Chinese path, it would be fine. But if textadept is open, drag and drop that file to textadept won't work. And double clicking the file to open will call segmentation fault for textadept.
>
> The situation only occurs in Windows. I want to know the reason of bug and whether it could be fixed.

Sorry for the late reply, but the best way to figure out why this is happening is to:

1. Download a nightly build of Textadept (which has debug symbols enabled) for Win32.
2. If you don't already have the GNU debugger installed on your machine, download MinGW[1] and from the GUI package manager install the "mingw32-base" package from the "MinGW Base System" section of "All Packages" followed by "gdb".
3. Open the Windows command prompt.
4. `cd` to the Textadept nightly build's directory.
5. Make sure all instances of Textadept are closed.
6. Run `c:\mingw\bin\gdb.exe textadept.exe` (or use whatever path to gdb.exe is on your computer).
7. Type `r` followed by Enter to start Textadept.
8. Trigger the crash by double-clicking a file in Windows Explorer to open in Textadept.
9. The gdb command prompt window will report a segfault.
10. Type `bt` followed by Enter to get a stack trace. Please send that stacktrace to me.