[code] Textadept: adding a top-level menu?

From: Phil S. <accountz.att.mailbox.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 17:42:23 +0100

I bought & enjoyed the 'Textadept Quick Reference' but I'm wrestling
hopelessly with the seemingly-simple wish to add own top-level menus.
That is obviously *without* cumbersomely copying the original 577-line
menu.lua to my ~/.textadept/modules/textadept and tweaking it in a few
places.

The QuickReference has handy examples to easily extend *existing* menus
but I can't figure out how to integrate custom top-level menus to the
menubar. Anyone know of a snippet or existing module out there that does
this, so one can learn? Even the listed extensions in the Wiki that
mention menus tend to only add items or sub-menus to already-existing
top-level-menus.

Thanks all!