Re: [code] Re: Textadept: often no buffer.UPDATE_CONTENT firing on certain modifications:

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 08:46:13 -0500 (EST)

Hi Phil,

On Tue, 6 Nov 2018, Phil S. wrote:

> In addition to many-not-all backspace (both with selection and without)
> enterings, the lack of UPDATE_UI+UPDATE_CONTENT firings also appears to
> pertain to many-not-all textadept.editing.enclose calls for the common
> textadept.editing.auto_pairs
>

> Could it be a bug in Scintilla? Or is the order of event handlers random such
> that my handlers setting ui.statusbar_text do get called but sometimes a
> textadept-builtin handler runs later than mine and resets the status bar,
> hence I'm not seeing this 'printf-of-sorts'? (I can't ui.print in this
> scenario as it would keep popping up the messagebuffer)

I use Lua's `print()` function to print to stdout and then run Textadept from a terminal. I think you're on Linux, so this would work well for you. Based on your findings, we will go from there.

I get the feeling that UPDATEUI is ill-suited for tracking document changes. You could try connecting to the undocumented `events.MODIFIED` handler, which may end up being slow because it fires so frequently. You can find more information on this event in Scintilla's documentation[1].

[1]: https://scintilla.org/ScintillaDoc.html#SCN_MODIFIED