RE: [code] [textadept] Issue with BÉPO keyboard layout on Win32

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 00:46:27 -0500 (EST)

Hi Julien,

I'm very sorry for the late reply.

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019, Julien L. wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> From: Michal Kottman <k0mpjut0r.att.gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 10:06:14 +0100
>> Is the comma by any chance a "dead key" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_key) in the BÉPO layout?
> No, it is not a dead key. In any other applications that I use, the comma key is immediately printed on the screen.
>
> I realized that, on Linux, I use the version 9.6 of Textadept.
>
> So I tried the same version on Windows and the problem does not exist!
>
> So I tried the different versions of Textadept and observed that the issue was introduced with version 10.1.
>
> I can see the following change in this version:
> Updated to GTK 2.24.32 on Windows, which fixes a number of various GTK-related issues.
> So I am afraid that this new version of GTK+ also introduces new issues. :(
>
> But I still do not understand what the difference is between the BÉPO comma key and the QWERTY comma key.
>
> Any idea on the cause of this issue?

It is unfortunate that it's a GTK issue. Thank you for taking the time to identify it though. I wonder if you could work around this by trying to put the following in your *~/.textadept/init.lua*:

   events.connect(events.KEYPRESS, function(code, shift, control, alt, meta)
     if code == string.char(',') and not shift and not control and not alt and not meta then
       buffer:add_text(',')
       return true -- do not propagate this key further
     end
   end)

Based on your feedback, it's possible Textadept's default handler is letting the ',' propagate and GTK ends up eating it. If instead you handle the key after it passes through Textadept's handler, that may be workable.

Please remove the key handler I had you add earlier.

If this works, I can help you come up with a more robust handler for this key. Hopefully it's the only one and you wouldn't have to add a similar handler for more keys.