Re: [code] [textadept] Hotkeys in other locale

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 17:36:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Al,

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019, Al Zatv wrote:

> ... sorry for sending unfinished letter. ...
>
> Expected behavior: if I press Ctrl or Alt, it must print the same in
> Russian layout as in English layout.
> For example: Ctrl+ч -- "cx". Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Ы -- "caS"
>
> Also, I compile textadept from source and revert this commit:
> https://foicica.com/hg/textadept/rev/139b7de0600d
> (btw, consider adding info how to build from source to README, it was not
> obvious for me).
>
> It is little bit better, but not great yet. Ctrl+C/Ctrl+X/Ctrl+V show
> cc/cx/cv in Russian layout -- it's great!
> Ctrl+Alt+Ы (key "ы"="s") show "cas" as expected. Great.
>
> But, if Ctrl or Alt is pressed, Shift key is lost. So, Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Ы
> (key "ы"="s") gives "caS" in English layout but "cas" in Russian. I
> achieve same effect with piece of lua code posted in this thread earlier
> (without changes in C code).
>
> ps I think that at least cc;cv;cx;cs must work "from the box": it is
> important to acquire new users.

I appreciate the time you've spent looking into this. I am afraid I do not know enough about how GTK handles keyboard layouts other than English. If I recall correctly, the code in the commit I referred you to was originally contributed by someone who had a foreign layout (perhaps Russian), but someone later said it caused them trouble (on their French layout? I don't remember), and removing the original patch fixed it for that second person. I tried to contact the original patch author, but was not able to verify whether or not removing it was a regression. Based on your input, it appears it is a regression, but only to an extent.

If you'd ever like to take the time to investigate and put together a proper fix, I'd be happy to take a look and perhaps push it out to others to see if it's a universal fix. Until then, I'm sad to say I cannot help :(