Re: [code] [textadept] Win32 GUI NIGHTLY C: Reading SYS File

From: dmccunney <dennis.mccunney.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 11:47:32 -0400

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 10:54 AM Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2019, Preston wrote:
>
> > When opening a file, the contents of C:\pagefile.sys tries to be read and causes an error. As a result, all of the contents of C: aren’t rendered. This isn’t an issue with the curses version as all the contents of C: are correctly displayed.
> >
> > Error when opening the file selection dialog in C:
> >
> > Comparison of the contents of C: between TextAdept GUI and dir:
> >
> > TextAdept CURSES rendering:
> >
> > I’m new to using TextAdept and Lua programming in general so I wasn’t able to figure out what is causing the error. Also, sorry if this bug is already reported. I looked at some of the recent mailing list archives and couldn’t find anything relating to the issue.
>
> Hmm, that looks like a GTK error (the widget toolkit Textadept uses). I haven't seen it before, and neither my Windows VM nor my Windows box has a *pagefile.sys* to trigger the problem.

How do you *not* have a pagefile.sys? Pagefile.sys is the equivalent
of Linux swap. You *can* disable it, but it exists by default.

> I do not know what a workaround would be other than to somehow disable the pagefile. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

If you want to disable the pagefile, right-click This PC (on Win10),
and select Properties, That opens the Control Panel System pane,
Select the Advanced tab, Performance .Under Performance options,
select Virtual Memory and click the Change box. From there you can
specify the drive(s) on which a pagefile exists, and the total
pagefile size. From there you can also select "No paging file".
This is not recommended unless you have a lot of RAM, but can be done.

I can invoke GUI TextAdept, click Open, used the file picker to
navigate to C:\, and open a text file in it. I get no error about
opening Pagefile.sys. Pagefile.sys does not *appear* in TextAdept's
file picker display for C:\. (Because it *is* a system file,
Windows will throw up a warning if you try to open it directly from
Windows Explorer.)

I'd like more detail on how Preston manged to produce this error.

______
Dennis