Re: [code] [textadept] Win32 GUI NIGHTLY C: Reading SYS File

From: dmccunney <dennis.mccunney.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 13:34:57 -0400

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 12:08 PM Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2019, dmccunney wrote:
> >> Hmm, that looks like a GTK error (the widget toolkit Textadept uses). I haven't seen it before, and neither my Windows VM nor my Windows box has a *pagefile.sys* to trigger the problem.
> >
> > How do you *not* have a pagefile.sys? Pagefile.sys is the equivalent
> > of Linux swap. You *can* disable it, but it exists by default.
>
> Following your guidance on seeing how one might disable the pagefile, I discovered that a pagefile is setup for my Windows box. However, I do not see it in Textadept's file browser, nor do I see it in Windows explorer (despite having the "hidden files visible" option turned on). Therefore, I erroneously assumed I did not have it. It's there somewhere, but I don't know where...

I don't see it in a TextAdept file picker display either.

That's actually what I would *expect*. Windows has the concept of
hidden files that are not displayed in a normal file listing through a
GUI. This is deliberate, as there is no normal reason for users to do
anything directly with those files, and trying to do so can shoot
themselves in the foot. Don't even display files the user shouldn't
touch.

Linux does similar things with . files, that do not appear in a normal
directory display unless you do ls -al, and file permissions that
require root to see and access some files.

One thing Windows does I consider a mis-feature - it hides file
extensions for well known files. This can be a security hole, as when
it's turned on, you don't know that Cute Kitten Picture.jpg you click
on in an email attachment is actually Cute Kitten Picture.jpg.exe, and
clicking on it runs the program with potentially unfortunate results.
The first thing I do on a new Windows install is turn that off.

I *do* see pagefile.sys in a Windows Explorer display of C:\. I
*don't* see it in TextAdept, and I consider that Working As Designed.

Like I said, I'd love to know how the reported error could occur on
Preston's machine. I don't think it's a GtK problem. I think it's a
Windows setup problem.

______
Dennis