[code] [textadept] Virtual space copy/paste.

From: Qwerky <mr.qwerky.att.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:35:39 -0600

Hi Mitchell.  This is a potentially more difficult one.  I understand
that there are some things in which the developer is limited by the
underlying edit component (Scintilla in this case), of which this may or
may not be one.

Every editor I have ever used (because I have rejected those that
didn't), going back to Screditor (from Alford and Associates, circa
1978), long before Windows or even DOS made its appearance, allowed what
I refer to as free cursor movement.  Though I had looked at Scintilla
many times, it was always rejected because of this lack.  I don't know
at what point it made its appearance, but eventually I discovered that
Scintilla offered what it calls "Virtual Space", and after that I began
to look at Scintilla-based editors.

Virtual Space is similar to what is available in editors with free
cursor movement, but there is a difference.  It is this seemingly simple
difference which is the target of this request:  when a rectangular
selection including virtual space is copied, and then pasted, the
resulting paste is no longer rectangular; i.e. the text to the right of
the paste is shifted right by a different number of spaces on each line,
depending upon whether or not that line within the paste included
virtual space at its end.

In free-cursor editors, a rectangular selection extending past the end
of a line, fills that area with spaces--just for the purpose of
copy/paste, /not/ actually placing the spaces within the body of the
text; therefore when it is pasted, a perfect rectangular copy is
pasted.  This is, to me, the very most fundamental purpose of
rectangular selection, and I would dearly love to see this implemented
in textadept.

qwerky