Re: [code] [textadept] Customize status bar

From: Qwerky <mr.qwerky.att.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 14:57:09 -0600

Hi,

On 2019-07-08 14:26, Qwerky wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 2019-07-08 14:11, Mitchell wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> :-)  Tinkering is an apt description, as I haven't done any real
>>> coding in a
>>> long time.  :-)
>>>
>>> So writing buffer information to ui.statusbar_text is no problem.
>>> But to
>>> have messages written to ui.bufstatusbar_text is somewhat of a
>>> dilemma, as
>>> those messages are written at many various places throughout the
>>> modules?
>>
>> Yeah, perhaps a general search-and-replace in Textadept's source
>> would be appropriate for you. A quick search showed instances in 5
>> files. That's not too bad, but there will be some maintainence
>> involved for you if/when you upgrade to newer versions.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mitchell
>
> Okay.  When you say "Textadept's source" are you referring to the .lua
> modules, or the .c files in /src/, or both?
>
> One other thing:  when my events handler writes the buffer information
> to ui.statusbar_text (left side of status bar), the original buffer
> information still appears on the right side of the status bar.  I
> understood from the documentation, that if my handler returns a value,
> then no others handlers (for that event) would be processed.  I've
> tried returning both 'true' and 'false', but the original buffer
> information still appears on the right side.  Is something else needed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> qwerky

Having a quick look at textadept.c, it seems that it could be as simple
as swapping elements '0' and '1' in statusbar[2] (and
statusbar_lenght[2]).  But if that file were modified, then it would
need to be recompiled, correct?  So that is something that couldn't be
done by me, but could by you.

You could provide an option in init.lua (buffer status on left side of
status bar true/false), but I'm sure that's way down on your list of
things to do.  I mention that possibility because, from my experience,
most other editors do have that information on the left side.

So until then, perhaps I'll try search/replace in the .lua modules.

qwerky