Re: [code] [textadept] Encoding and display

From: Qwerky <mr.qwerky.att.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 12:57:32 -0600

Hi Mitchell,

Okay, I hear what you are saying, but I have no clue as to encoding, so
here is what I did:

Using another editor which allows to load a file while choosing a
variety of encodings, I found that it did not display correctly when
(or ISO-8859-2), which we already knew.  But it did display correctly
when loaded as ANSI, or when loaded as a large number of code pages such
as CP1250 (but not correctly with a few code pages).  (This other
editor, by the way, displays correctly when loading the file by default,
without specifically forcing a choice.)  So I guess we could say that
the encoding is ANSI, is that correct?

Also, I looked at the file in hex, and those particular characters
(opening quotation, etc.) had single-byte codes with values of 0x91,
0x93, and so forth.

Does all this tell you what the encoding is?

So then, how does one go about setting the encoding?  You must remember
that this is all very new to me, while to you it is a simple thing.  But
the only way I could see how to set the encoding, since I couldn't call
'buffer.set_encoding()' directly because I don't know the buffer number,
was to edit menu.lua to add another option, which I did.  When I tried
setting to 'ANSI', I received the message:  "invalid encoding(s)"; when
setting to 'CP1250', the message "conversion failed".

Looking at the documentation, it says "Valid encodings are ones that GNU
iconv accepts."  That doesn't mean much to me.  Does the failure of the
two settings that I tried, mean that TextAdept simply can't handle this
file?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

qwerky