Re: [code] [textadept] Encoding and display

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 17:16:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019, Qwerky wrote:

> Gabriel,
>
> Thank you so much!  I copied your function to menu.lua, made it a local
> function, and added an entry to the Encoding submenu to call it.  When
> calling it on my test file, it worked fine, and the file was displayed
> properly.  This is a great help!  :-)  Too bad TA doesn't auto-detect that
> encoding, as it is very common on my system.

Now that you know what it is, you can make Textadept auto-detect it: https://foicica.com/textadept/manual.html#Buffer.Encodings.

This is part of the FAQ by the way. I forgot about that.

> Also, I found out that using the command line (as you did) would work only if
> I left the function as global, and not as local; so with a local function,
> I'm not sure how I could call it from the command line.
>
> One question, though:  you said you "opened it with Textadept (at which point
> it was displayed in the encoding ISO-8859-1)".  I'm wondering how one can
> tell what encoding a file is currently displayed as?

Textadept displays the encoding it is using at the bottom right of the statusbar (or perhaps the middle if you still have your statusbar swapped).