[code] A hidden gem in Textadept's make-file: optional GTK3 targeting with flawless support (in my experience).

From: David Tamar <david-tamar.att.outlook.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 02:28:19 +0000

Hi, Mitchell.
I've built Textadept last night with the GTK3 option on (in the make file) and I had a great success with it.
My current Textadept 10.5 is running on top of GTK 3.24.5 on Debian (testing).

I tested Textadept today from my init.lua with several ui.dialogs and they all worked flawlessly and smoothly. The user interface makes perfect use of my custom GTK+ CSS style-sheet too, so the layouts are in perfect size and shape and everything is just right.

I used Textadept for a few months with the standard GTK2 build and I was very happy with it, except that I got quite worried about GTK2 since I started to plan my migration to a pure Wayland once Sway will become available on Debian Testing. And also because I really wanted to see my custom CSS style-sheet over Textadept.

I didn't know that Textadept had a GTK3 option before last night. But now that I found it I'm really excited about it. I couldn't find anything about the GTK3 option except a few hints in the changelog that mentioned that, so then I went to the MakeFile and found it.

One question: Both GTK2 and Curses binaries come with each standard release, but not the optional GTK3 build, is it not stable or something?