Re: [code] A hidden gem in Textadept's make-file: optional GTK3 targeting with flawless support (in my experience).

From: David Tamar <david-tamar.att.outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 15:54:05 +0000

That's great, I'm glad to hear that because I'm using Debian as well (the Testing distribution) and I thought yesterday that if someone with by-the-book .deb packaging skills will bring Textadept into Debian's official repositories separated by 3 packages: `textadept-curses`, `textadept-gtk2`, and `textadept-gtk3` for each one then it'd be just ideal. I really wish we had that.

A couple of days ago I wanted to package a Lua library that was missing on Debian, it's PUC's IUP cross-platform GUI library that uses native widgets with direct Lua bindings and can run from pure LuaJIT with GTK3 on *nix, and with extensive support for drawing plots and stuff like that.

So I went forward and attempted to build it according to the manual from IUP on Debian and place each file in its correct location since their install shell script wasn't working properly on Debian (despite that they tested in Ubuntu). And it didn't work because some dependencies were missing. So I started to think about packaging it properly in a .deb so I wouldn't have to manage the dependencies manually. I went to Debian's New Maintainer's Guide, at first I was so enthusiastic and started to read chapter by chapter, but after a few hours I was completely lost into Unix history to understand the background behind Linux's Filesystem Hierarchy Standard in depth to know how to package that chain of libraries correctly into Debian. I was quite overwhelmed.