Re: [code] [textadept] Binding Keypad Enter

From: dmccunney <dennis.mccunney.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 15:40:35 -0400

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 1:06 PM Qwerky <mr.qwerky.att.gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. I've been able to bind some of the keypad keys (plus, minus, 0), but when binding the Enter key on the keypad, it does not work, regardless of the function it is bound to. Is it a problem on this end, or a problem elsewhere? [I've commented out the 'print' statements in /core/keys.lua, but I see no output for any key, either in a message buffer, nor in the console?]

As Mitchell says, I don't think you can do this in TextAdept.

When you press a key on the PC keyboard, what is sent to the host is a
scancode. The scancode indicates the *position* on the keyboard of
the key that has been pressed. The OS maintains a table of values
mapped to keys at the various positions. (This is what permits code
page changes in Windows - an alternate map is used.) You can find a
good map of scancodes here:
http://www.philipstorr.id.au/pcbook/book3/scancode.htm

GtK appears to use the OS map, not the scancode. Depending on what
you would like the Keypad Enter key to do, you *might* be able to
remap it at the OS level outside of TextAdept.

See https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/
for info on a utility to do it.

I have not used the Sharpkeys utility discussed in the article to try
to remap Keypad Enter, but it may work for you.

> qwerky
______
Dennis