Re: [code] [textadept] Caret horizontal position jumps after buffer switch

From: Qwerky <mr.qwerky.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 15:47:11 -0600

On 2019-08-06 13:42, Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019, Qwerky wrote:
>
>> Hi.  In my /USERHOME/init.lua, I have buffer.caret_sticky set to
>> buffer.CARETSTICKY_OFF (the default, confirmed to be '0'); I have
>> also tried
>> the other sticky options.  Regardless, the caret's horizontal position
>> changes from what it was previously in a buffer, to a different
>> position when
>> switching back to that buffer (happens for all buffers).
>>
>> With two (or more) buffers open, place caret in buffer one at known
>> column,
>> eg. 10, and place caret in buffer two at different known column, eg.
>> 20. From
>> buffer one, switch to buffer two.  Move caret up a line and back down
>> again.
>> Switch back to buffer one, and move caret up (or down) a line. Caret
>> jumps
>> from column 10 to column 20.
>>
>> Is there some other setting that is responsible for this (I have
>> searched!)?
>
> I think the simplest explanation is that caret sticky is not a
> per-buffer setting, but a per-view one.
>
> Textadept does its best to try and differentiate between buffers and
> views as we know them, but Scintilla doesn't always make this easy.

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks.  I can't say I fully understand, but accept your word on it.
When I look at the code in /core/ui.lua for switching between buffers,
it seems to be saving/restoring the the caret location (which I believe
includes both line and column), so I don't really understand why the
caret jumps that way.  And I'm unsure what code modifications would
correct the issue.  However, if someone saw a way to do so, I would not
be averse to modifying the (Lua) code, as long as it doesn't mean
recompiling.  :-)

qwerky