Re: [code] [textadept] Possible bug with Wrap

From: Qwerky <mr.qwerky.att.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 10:34:08 -0600

Hi Dennis,

On 2019-09-05 09:08, Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2019, Qwerky wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In a file that has at least one long line, that will wrap when wrap is
>> enabled, scroll down in the file until the long line is above the
>> window and
>> no longer in view.  Now toggle wrap on.  If there are no long lines
>> in view,
>> then you will see no change other than the horizontal scroll bar
>> going away.
>>
>> Take note of the line number of the line at the top of the window.  Now
>> toggle wrap off. The line number of the line now at the top of the
>> window has
>> increased, and the caret is no longer visible.  If you move the caret
>> right,
>> it will jump back into view, restoring the top line to what it had been
>> previously.  I used a file in which the long long, when it wrapped,
>> became
>> five wrapped lines, and after the above, the line at the top of the
>> screen
>> had increased by five lines.
>>
>> Anyone confirm?
>
> Do you mind posting a sample file with instructions that include line
> numbers? That would help a lot.

The attached `test.txt` file is just a few notes I was making on
Textadept.  With the caret at the top of the file, and wrapping turned
off, note line 4 (`This is a long line...`).

Now toggle wrap mode on.  On a full screen window on my monitor (which
is fairly wide), the line wraps to six lines (with five wrap symbols);
it may be more or less on a smaller/larger window. Now toggle wrap mode
back off.

Next, scroll the file up, so that line 30 as at the top of the window,
and the caret is at the beginning of line 30.

Toggle wrap mode on.  No visible change apart from the horizontal scroll
bar disappearing.

Toggle wrap mode off.  The line at the top of the window is now line 35,
and the caret is not visible on the screen.  Press <Right-Arrow> to move
the caret right one position.  Line 30 is once again at the top of the
screen (and the caret has moved right one position).

The fact that there were five additional lines when the long line was
wrapped (may be different on a different size window), and that the text
in the window jumped up by five lines (again, may be different on your
screen), may be coincidence, but I suspect they are related.

qwerky