Re: [textadept] [code] z-order of buffers

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 12:10:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Lukas,

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, Procházka Lukáš Ing. wrote:

> Hello Mitchell,
>
> many MDI apps allow switching opened documents viz Ctrl+Tab by their z-order.
>
> Having digged in TA source, I found that core/ui.lua uses variable "local
> buffers_zorder = {}" (line 169), which seems to be useful to implement
> switching buffers in their z-order.
>
> However, this variable is "local".
>
> Would it be possible to make "buffers_zorder" non-local - to add its synonym
> into a "reasonable namespace", e.g. to add
> "textadept.buffers_zorder = buffers_zorder" (or something like that)?

I would be interested in a good Ctrl+Tab implementation that respects z-order (as an option of course, just like `ui.switch_buffer()` has a z-order option). If you can come up with one, I'd be open to exposing `buffers_zorder` into something more generic. As it is, I prefer not to expose internal variables that are only used in one place, which keeps API bloat to a minimum.