[code] How to generate API files for Textadept's Lua auto-completer?

From: David Tamar <david-tamar.att.outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 04:19:33 +0000

Apparently, I managed to use Textadept a few months without any auto-completion or ctags to navigate the lexical scopes of my own Lua code. But recently I'm trying to understand how to generate API files so that TA's Lua completion could work with them on the fly.

It's not clear to me how to divorce Textadept's Lua API from PUC-Rio's Lua API. Some of my projects are not related to TA, but they target stand-alone Lua interpreters of different versions (like LuaJIT 2.1, or Lua 5.1 for example). I'm also not sure how to auto-complete code from LuaRocks. In these cases TA should not autocomplete its own API since the code targets an external interpreter.

There are some related issues with Lua's auto-completion in general that I wish to mention: It's currently not using fully-qualified names so it's confusing between same names coming from different tables. There is also no static inferring for "require"-ed scopes, local scopes, and "assert"-ed inner structures of tables that were passed as parameters.