[code] Textadept-curses for WIN32: Cursor/screen problems

From: Gavin Holt <holtgavin.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 09:56:34 +0000

Hi,

I know the standard windows console is "limited", but I have noted a
few problems. I know some of these are hard to address, but I thought
I would list them anyway for reference:

1. Can't display any popups in the buffer: I am having problems with
the popup symbol autocomplete (^Space) and the snippet popup when
selections are offered. There is a flicker on my screen, but the
popups are not visible. For the autocomplete none of the options are
selectable, with the snippets I can get the first option only. I am
pretty sure the commands function because when only one autocomplete
option is available it gets inserted (e.g. A Lua file "string.s" will
expand to "string.sub"). Test case in a Lua file is "math.f" which
should display a popup with "math.floor, math.fmod, math.frexp".

2. Cursor invisible at the insertion point using find & replace panel,
or any dialog: At present in textadept-curses for WIN32 the insertion
cursor is invisible when using the "find & replace pane" or any dialog
(e.g. Goto). There is a blinking underline in column zero at what
appears to be a random row.

3. Can't change fold/wrap indicators with standard WIN32 console
fonts: On most of the machines I use I do not have permission to
change the console font outside the defaults - and its not easy even
if you do have permission! The current coded fold and wrap indicators
do not have a character in these default fonts, they both appear as
identical small boxes. Would it be possible to reassign these
characters in my init.lua? I would like to choose a wrap indicator
which displays as a "space", i.e invisible. Any other method of making
the wrap indicator invisible would be acceptable.

4. Annoying shadows on the screen: As I edit with textadept-curses
some actions result in one, or more, or many, transient vertical lines
(?occupying the vertical line cursor pixels on the left of the
character cell) png attached. These tend to disappear after a full
screen redraw. It doesn't stop me working but is mighty distracting.

5. Single mouse clicking inside a highlighted selection does not
remove/alter the selection, nor does it move the insertion point: This
is not the expected behavior, I would normally expect the selection
to "unselect" and the cursor insertion point to move to the clicked
location. Test by selecting all and then try to click out. (This is
only in the nightly build)

6. Shift drag does not scroll: When selecting text with the mouse, you
can only go as far as the bottom/top of the visible screen. I would
like to be able to scroll as we select using the wheel and by dragging
"beyond boundaries".

7. Can't alter buffer.caret_style: At present buffer.caret_style does
not really work in textadept-curses for WIN32 unless set to "2". I
would prefer an underline or vertical line cursor so it does not get
confused with the block highlighting of braces.

I think Textadept-curses is the best 9MB on my USB stick. One single
executable with a few Lua DLLs - the speed and power is addictive! I
am sorry I don't have the skills to offer solutions to these issues,
hopefully some of my other contributions are helpful.

Kind Regards Gavin Holt